ownlayfrhbbv

The works at the Lusail stadium are nearing completion

first_imgThe Lusail stadium where the final and the opening match of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar will be played, is one of the stadiums that is expected to be ready by 2021.The Higher Committee on Organization and Legacy, responsible management of the organization and initiatives of the World Cup in Qatar 2022, closely follow the work at the Lusail stadium so that it ends on the expected date. The Committee published on its Twitter account, the photos just taken, showing the progress in the construction works, and the main stages of construction, which have just been completed, and that comes before starting with the next phase of construction work related to the facilities outside the stadium.Although the photos have been taken at night, but aesthetic structural achievements reflect creativity in the construction of the stadium located in Lusail the economic Qatari city characterized by its special and distinct style.The Stadium would open the door in front of investors, as a factor of attraction for all those who seek to invest in large tourism and economic projects.last_img read more

Read More

Calabar High synthetic track opening delayed

first_imgCalabar High School’s plan to open its new synthetic track at its Founder’s Day ceremony next Wednesday has been pushed back, at least until next month end.The Red Hills Road-based institution will be the first high school in Jamaica with such a track.”The original plan was for the track to be completed in time for our Founder’s Day on September 12, but that has been put back. We are cautiously optimistic that it will be ready next month end,” Principal of Calabar High, Albert Corcho, told The Gleaner yesterday.Corcho said the football field that is already finished will not be in use until the track is completed.”The football field is basically ready, but we will wait until the track is completed before activity is on the field. It is fully grassed as we have a well that pumps water onto the field,” Corcho disclosed.”The synthetic track at Calabar will be the first for a high school in this hemisphere. The work is being done by the same contractors, VSW Regupol, who did the G.C. Foster College track,” he noted.With regards to the financing of the project, it started from a government allocation of $10 million apiece to six high schools. However, Corcho said they needed more funding to complete the project. He was unable to reveal the total cost.”The Sports Development Foundation, through the Government, granted $10 million, and our stakeholders, such as the Old Boys and others, contributed a whole lot of money for the project,” the Principal said.upgraded fieldMeanwhile, coach of Calabar’s Manning Cup football team, Bradley Stewart, says he is hoping that the team would be able to host home games in the preliminary round on the upgraded field.”We would love to play matches on that field, but it is not expected to be in use until the next seven weeks. The track has to be completed before we can use it for games,” Stewart added.”However, we will play on the field with the cricket pitch during the preliminary round of the Manning Cup,” he said.Calabar last won the Manning Cup in 2005 under the guidance of the late David ‘Wagga’ Hunt.Stewart is in the second of a three-year plan to bring back glory to the famed school.”We understand that with a good football field, that can bring glory. We have a three-year plan that started last year with coach Bradley Stewart, so with an improved field, we are expecting good things from all teams at Calabar,” Corcho pointed out.last_img read more

Read More

Sam Johnson Joins Norwegian Premiere League Club

first_imgSam Johnson unveiled at his new club. (Photo: VIF Media.) “I feel at home already and will do everything to make myself and the club proud,” were the exact words of Liberian international striker Sam Johnson after Norwegian top tier club Vålerenga added the 24-year old to their lineup on a three and a half year deal.According to Vålerenga’s official website, Johnson landed in Norway on Tuesday evening and underwent the medical test before signing his contract at the Intility Arena – the team’s stadium.The 24-year old striker joined his new club after a season in the Chinese second tier league with Wuhan Zall. During his spell in the Chinese league, Johnson slotted home 12 goals out of 26 appearances.Earlier, before his move to Norway, it was reported by local media that the former Wuhan Zall striker’s contract had been terminated by the Chines club after additional foreign players were signed by the club. Johnson was later relegated to the team’s reserve squad after the signing of additional foreign players.However, three weeks following his relegation to Wuhan Zall’s reserve team, the Liberian international striker now has a new challenge to face upon his return to Europe. Johnson last plied his trade in Europe with Djurgården in the Swedish league and scored 17 goals in 41 appearances.“I’m glad he has chosen to sign for us and believe our supporters have a lot to look forward to,” Ronny Deila (Photo: VIF Media)“Sam is a quick man who works hard for the team, is good at attacking opponents as well as scoring a lot of goals. I’m glad he has chosen to sign for us and believe our supporters have a lot to look forward to,” Johnson’s new head coach, Ronny Deila, told the club website.Coach Deila, according to the club, has seen Johnson in action several times and was pleased to announce that he has signed for the club and believes the Liberian international will be a success in the royal blue suit.This latest signing by the club sums up to four the number of African players currently in the club’s lineup. Striker Johnson was handed the number 10 jersey upon arrival at the team and will be looking to make his debut when the new league season kickoff on March 12, 2018.Vålerenga ended the previous league season in the 8th position out of 16 teams after collecting 39 points out of 30 games (11 wins, 6 draws and 13 losses).Vålerenga is a Norwegian association football club from Oslo and a part of the multi-sport club Vålerengens IF. The club was founded in 1913, and named after the neighborhood of Vålerenga. The club has so far won the league champions five times and won the Norwegian Football Cup champions four times. They last won the league in 2005 and the cup in 2008.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More

Man gets bail for threatening language

first_imgA Linden man who was on Tuesday charged with two counts of making use of threatening language was granted bail by Magistrate Wanda Fortune when he appeared at the Linden Magistrates’ Court.The accused, 39-year-old Orlando Forde of Lot 19 Industrial Area, Mackenzie, Linden was granted bail in the sum of $20,000 after he pleaded not guilty to the two charges.It is alleged that he made use of threatening language towards Lex Lewis and Stacy Lewis on August 26, 2019.While Prosecutor Vernetté Pindar did not object to bail, she urged that the accused be placed on a bond to keep the peace. He is scheduled to return to court on October 10.last_img read more

Read More

Local curler values experience at High School Provincials

first_imgThe curler, representing the Fort St. John Curling Club, has been competing on the ice since he was nine years old, and says he was drawn to the sport because he didn’t know too many people who participated in it.“It’s a sport that really, not to many people get to do, and I’m glad I get to…I just saw it on TV one time, and the sweeping, and all the great shots being made, I just thought that looks pretty cool and something I’d like to try.”He says that aside from the strategic aspect of the game, there are other characteristics of curling that make it a lot of fun for him.“You’re always thinking, and no two ends will be the same… It doesn’t really matter what position I play, I just like being on the ice. I like sweeping, the strategy of the game and just playing it.”  Middleton says the sport is something he wants to pursue moving forward in life and takes his training seriously.Advertisement Even though he and his team didn’t receive a top three medal, Middleton says he was pleased with the way things went on the ice.“That’s pretty much where we thought we would be. We tried and played our best and we were the youngest team there…It was exciting to know that there’d be some tough teams to play against.”He says the level of talent on the ice throughout the Bonspiel was impressive.- Advertisement -“The talent from the rest of the province was just great. I know we will have some great games against them in the future. The team from Coquitlam, who actually won, they were probably one of the best junior teams I’ve ever seen. They made a lot of shots, put them in the right places, and that’s what you have to do to win.”The bonspiel was Middleton’s first at the provincial level, and said he entered it challenging himself to see how he stacked up against the older, more experienced teams, who ranged in the 18 year old age group.The Skip says competing at that level helped him develop as a curler both individually and with his Fort St. John team mates.  Advertisement “I think it helped me lots, because I tired a few different positions. We (he and his team mates) enjoyed it a lot because it’s teams that we usually don’t play against, so it was our first time with that talent…We played every weekend this year so to play some new teams was good.”Middleton says his favourite moment was how his team concluded their play in Kamloops.“My favourite moment would be when we won our last game just because we didn’t start off too great. We ended strong by winning our last three of four games.”From a technical standpoint, he said the ice at the Kamloops curling arena was a bit slower than that of the Fort St. John Curling Club, so he and his team mates had to make some mid-game adjustments with their throwing. He also added that their were no boards separating the rinks, so accuracy was at a premium at the bonspiel.Advertisementcenter_img “Oh yeah, my goal is to get far and I’m usually throwing rocks maybe five days a week, I’m down there as much as I can be…There’s a big improvement just from the start of the year to now.”He adds that the Fort St. John Curling Club is the perfect place for an up and coming curler to train, because the Club offers eight sheets to practice on, allowing him as much time on the ice he can handle.    Following the provincial Bonspiel, Middleton will take off his sliding shoes, and jump into a spectator’s seat, as he departs for Edmonton today to watch the Tim Horton’s Brier, something he says in an inspiration to him.Middleton also wanted to thank the Fort St. John community for their support, along with their team sponsors, who he says really helped he and his team make their way to the provincial competition.last_img read more

Read More

Peewee A Flyers defeat Dawson Creek

first_imghe Fort St John Peewee A Flyers defeated the Dawson Creek Peewee A’s 3 – 2 in a closely contested exhibition game on Saturday afternoon at the Taylor arena. The Flyers took a 2 – 0 lead into the third period but Dawson Creek came up with a determined effort to tie the game with 5 minutes to go. This set the stage for Lien Miller-Jeannotte’s winning goal with just under 2 minutes left. Jacob Gardner lead the offence with a goal and an assist. Other scorers for the Flyers were Brandon Howard (1 goal), Lucas Maclean (1 assist) and Brittany Bakstad (1 assist). Thomas Webster at forward and Brittany Bakstad on defense had strong 2-way games for the Flyers and Garet Whitford was solid in goal. Scoring for Dawson Creek were Ryan Friesen and Nolan Logan.- Advertisement –last_img read more

Read More

`Lefty’ in the lead at Nissan

first_imgPACIFIC PALISADES – Phil Mickelson and Padraig Harrington are bucking the very essence of Riviera Country Club. The storied course typically overwhelms those that have rarely walked its hallowed ground. Mickelson and Harrington are dominating Riviera even though tradition implies they shouldn’t. Mickelson hasn’t played the Nissan Open in five years, and Harrington has never played it, yet the two are co-leaders at 11-under par after two rounds. Mickelson eagled the 17th hole on his way to a 6-under 65 and Harrington shot a 3-under 68 Friday to remain in first on a perfectly sunny afternoon with a gallery of 35,992. Charles Howell III is within striking distance, three shots back at 7-under after shooting a second-round 65. Harrington, Mickelson and Howell will make up today’s final group. Tee times and pairings weren’t available since there was one player, George McNeill, who couldn’t putt on the ninth due to darkness. The jet-setting Mickelson, who’s flying to and from his home in San Diego, might not have recent course knowledge, but he consulted someone who does. Riviera member Amy Alcott, who lives off the sixth hole, gave him a refresher course on Riviera. Golfers who don’t know every inch of the 7,279-yard course typically pay the price with each errant shot. Riviera usually succumbs to someone like Corey Pavin, who’s played here 23 times. center_img “Subtleties in the greens is one of the things we were talking about,” Mickelson said. “That was the biggest thing, how the greens break, the little nuances that you notice after years and years. (She said) gosh, every time somebody plays here for the first time, they always miss this putt a foot over here, stuff like that.” Mickelson sank a 14-foot, 10-inch putt for eagle to atone for making bogey after missing an 8-foot putt on the 16th. “I really like the way I’m putting the ball in play,” Mickelson said. “It feels very easy.” It’s just not supposed to be that way. Harrington very much understands that. After his opening round 63 Thursday, he said that some day the course would catch up to him. That wasn’t the case Friday either, although he did make some novice mistakes. The ninth hole, which he parred, was an example. “I had two practice rounds, but you can’t cover all of the detail on it,” Harrington said. “I had a putt there on my last hole from the back edge of the green. I was guessing how much it was downwind, how fast this putt was. There was some shadows. It was really difficult to see it. And just not having any experience of hitting that putt. “At the end of the day, I did two-putt it, but it was definitely a lot there, an educated guess to help with putting.” Maybe Harrington had a miscue here or there, but he’s still playing great considering he’s so green out here. Mickelson was surprised to see that his first-round 66 was bettered by three strokes. He wasn’t surprised that Harrington was atop the leaderboard, too, despite his inexperience at Riviera. “Padraig is one of the best players in the world,” Mickelson said. “He is one of the steadiest players, he keeps the ball in play and he’s great with the putter. This is a perfect course for him.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Read More

Delort ready to fire Wigan back into the Premier League

first_img1 Andy Delort in action for Ajaccio Wigan’s new striker Andy Delort has told the club they have signed a real warrior to help them fight for Premier League promotion.The striker, 22, was the focus of prolonged transfer negotiations over the summer but he is a Latics player now and he can’t wait to attack the Championship.“This process has been going on for three months now and, now it’s finally over, I’m delighted,” said Delort, who arrived from FC Tours.“I have kept in shape throughout the summer and now I am ready for what I know will be a very long season.“From the moment I met people here, I was given a very warm welcome and I got the feeling from the very start that this was the right club for me.“Firstly I would say I’m a real battler and I always give everything on the pitch.“I have always been a goal-scorer, that’s my game; my play is about power and speed and above all a positive approach which I hope will please the supporters.”last_img read more

Read More

John Stones is on his way out of Everton, ex-Goodison star tells talkSPORT

first_imgEverton have little chance of keeping John Stones beyond this season, Andy Gray has told talkSPORT.The Toffees managed to resist strong interest from Chelsea last summer to keep hold of the young England centre-back.But Gray believes it is just a matter of time before the 21-year-old moves on, with the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Manchester City all rumoured to be lining up moves.Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, the ex-Goodison star said: “John Stones now is at an age where his star is in the ascendancy. He is right up there.“He is highly thought of, not only in this country but globally and, trust me, teams like Barcelona and Real Madrid will know all about John Stones and his abilities as a centre-back.“He is still learning but Everton have got it all on to keep him. I hate saying this because as an Evertonian I will get hung for it, but it is going to be difficult to keep hold of him.“If I’m Manchester City, I’m saying: ‘who is the best young British centre-back right now?’ By a country mile, for me, it is John Stones, so why wouldn’t any club be interested?“If Everton can’t give him Champions League football, which looks unlikely this year, then they are going to have great difficulty hanging on to John Stones sadly.”last_img read more

Read More

Hennessey: I’ve warned Wales team-mates about Vardy’s penalty-winning tactics

first_img Vardie won Leicester seven penalties as they marched to the Premier League title title 1 Wayne Hennessey has warned his Wales team-mates over England striker Jamie Vardy’s penalty-winning tactics. Vardy won a remarkable seven penalties for Leicester during their charge to the Premier League title – and came in for some criticism over perceived diving in the box.England face Wales on Thursday in Lens and Hennessey has urged vigilance against Vardy’s ‘clever’ tactics. The Crystal Palace No.1 said: “Vardy can be quite clever in the box and go down. “You can’t touch him. We are all not stupid. We watch the games as well. He will cut across defenders and go down.”Elsewhere, Aaron Ramsey insists Wales will focus on themselves and not be too concerned about England when they meet in Thursday’s Battle of Britain.“We wanted to start off well in this competition and we’ve managed to do that,” said Ramsey.“We work hard for each other, we have quality going forward and we are ready to take on anybody.“They have a lot of good players, who are quite dangerous individually.“They had a faultless (qualifying) campaign. But we will focus on ourselves and what we need to do to try and get something out of the game.”last_img read more

Read More